Kate Holland is a bookbinder from the UK. She was one of the seven bookbinders who worked on the six bindings made for the books shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 2020. And she was the second person who worked on this binding you saw in the preview (picking up from Derek Hood). In this video, we discuss the peculiarities of the project and some other things as well!
Listen to this episode on:
- Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/ibookbinding
- iTunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/nl/podcast/ibookbinding-podcast/id1510257102
- Google Podcasts: https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaWJvb2tiaW5kaW5nLmNvbS9mZWVkL3BvZGNhc3Q
Become a patron (and get more content): https://www.patreon.com/ibookbinding
Join us on:
- Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/iBookBinding/
- Discord — https://discord.gg/TJY5FeS
- Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/iBookBinding/
Follow Kate Holland:
00:00 – Beginning
01:16 – About Kate Holland
01:49 – Peculiarity of this Booker Prize project: Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart
04:45 – Becoming a different binder for a single project
07:05 – Inspiration for the binding design
08:15 – Themes of the book
09:49 – Creating the cover design
15:04 – How was the work process, considering the unusual circumstances?
17:13 – Balancing regular orders, extraordinary projects like the Booker Prize binding, and having a job as a mom
19:39 – Having 2021 fully booked
21:35 – The leap from having a one-person business to having a larger shop and an assistant
Please Support us on Patreon!
Moreover, starting with the pledge level of $3, you will get a digitized vintage book about bookbinding, book history, or book arts each month from us!
These pledges help iBookBinding to continue its work and bring more information about bookbinding and book arts to you!