We return to Tom McEwan to discuss the state of bookbinding in Scotland!
Listen to this episode on:
- Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/ibookbinding
- iTunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/nl/podcast/ibookbinding-podcast/id1510257102
- Google Podcasts: https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaWJvb2tiaW5kaW5nLmNvbS9mZWVkL3BvZGNhc3Q
Become a patron (and get more content): https://www.patreon.com/ibookbinding
Join us on:
- Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/iBookBinding/
- Discord — https://discord.gg/TJY5FeS
- Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/iBookBinding/
Follow Tom’s projects:
00:00 – Beginning
00:44 – Earlier career
01:28 – Bookbinding in Scotland
08:21 – Teaching bookbinding in Scotland during the pandemic
10:38 – Bookbinding activities in the Glasgow School of Art
13:12 – Musings about when the design binding appeared and how to define the term “design binding.”
19:08 – Inspiration from surroundings landscape and nature of Scotland
25:13 – Influence of the previous profession: from the sculptor to bookbinder
27:26 – Titling the bindings
28:28 – Artistic techniques which help to show the orientation of the book
Please Support us on Patreon!
Moreover, starting with the pledge level of $3, you will get a digitized vintage book about bookbinding, book history, or book arts each month from us!
These pledges help iBookBinding to continue its work and bring more information about bookbinding and book arts to you!