We invited a British bookbinder Hannah Brown to discuss two of her projects. The first one is a binding with architectural motifs she made several years ago. The other is a board she recently made for a Designer Bookbinders’ project.
Listen to this episode on:
- Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/ibookbinding
- iTunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/nl/podcast/ibookbinding-podcast/id1510257102
- Google Podcasts: https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaWJvb2tiaW5kaW5nLmNvbS9mZWVkL3BvZGNhc3Q
Become a patron (and get more content): https://www.patreon.com/ibookbinding
Join us on:
- Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/iBookBinding/
- Discord — https://discord.gg/TJY5FeS
- Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/iBookBinding/
Follow Hannah’s projects:
- Website: https://han-made.net/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hannah.brown.7169709
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hannah_brown_bookbinding/
00:00 – Beginning
00:30 – Architecture and Bookbinding. “Lines Composed a Few Miles above Tintern Abbey, on Revisiting the Banks of the Wye during a Tour, July 13, 1798.”
03:15 – What’s a board?
05:01 – From an image to the binding’s design, to making a board for Designer Bookbinders
08:24 – The use of embroidery in design bindings
09:44 – What was first for Hannah, embroidery or bookbinding?
10:42 – Embroidery on leather
11:54 – Sewing machine for working with leather
13:47 – Embroidery in the Medieval bookbinding
14:19 – Other bookbinders who do embroidery on their bindings
15:33 – Making wooden boxes for bindings
17:45 – Are there any plans to continue the project in the future?
19:45 – Is it harder to bind a book in an embroidered leather?
23:14 – Using polymer threads
24:24 – Making books that last for centuries
24:58 – Where is the binding now?
Please Support us on Patreon!
Moreover, starting with the pledge level of $3, you will get a digitized vintage book about bookbinding, book history, or book arts each month from us!
These pledges help iBookBinding to continue its work and bring more information about bookbinding and book arts to you!