iBB Podcast #17.3 – Dimitris Koutsipetsidis – Workshop Tour and Bookbinding Tools Dimitris Makes
We already shared two parts of our talk with Dimitris Koutsipetsidis, a bookbinder from Athens (Greece). Earlier, we discussed the things that brought him to making books and then Dimitris showed us some of his bindings. This time Dimitris takes us for a tour of his studio and shows us some of the tools he makes. To buy some of these tools, check the links below!
Listen to this episode on:
- Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/ibookbinding
- iTunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/nl/podcast/ibookbinding-podcast/id1510257102
- Google Podcasts: https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaWJvb2tiaW5kaW5nLmNvbS9mZWVkL3BvZGNhc3Q
Become a patron (and get more content): https://www.patreon.com/ibookbinding
Join us on:
- Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/iBookBinding/
- Discord — https://discord.gg/TJY5FeS
- Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/iBookBinding/
- Blog: https://koutsipetsidis.wordpress.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dimitris_bookbinding_corner/
- Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheBookbindersBench
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Dimitrisbookbindingcorner/
Tools made by Dimitris:
- Blog Tool page: https://koutsipetsidis.wordpress.com/tools-for-bookbinding-εργαλεία-βιβλιοδεσίας
- Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheBookbindersBench
00:00 – Beginning
00:12 – Workshop tour
00:43 – The Tale of the Four Benches – Tolkien vibes
03:32 – How the previous Dimitris’ workshops looked like?
07:09 – Tour: Storage rack for supplies
07:50 – Paring knives
08:13 – The type holder and stylus set Dimitris makes and sells
08:54 – Would Dimitris like to make all of his tools himself?
11:36 – If you had all the time in the world, which tools would you make for yourself right now?
13:42 – Paring knives, once again
15:29 – Backing hammer
15:54 – Tour: Cabinet with lead types
16:17 – Still using the first press Dimitris made for his projects
18:35 – Paper storage
19:11 – Smart storage for thin leather strips
19:39 – Post-It notes all over the place
22:30 – Tour: Collection of marbled paper
28:21 – Projects currently in work
31:26 – More about Tolkien
35:44 – Future project: Animal Farm
36:43 – Dimitris’ approach to design bindings
39:19 – Being a part of a tradition
43:24 – Collaborating with your family and members of your creative community
46:52 – Tour: Machining corner of the bindery
48:38 – Wooden and metal dust created during the toolmaking process. Breathing safety
51:19 – A bit more about the tools Dimitris makes and Stepan’s opinion on the tools
54:35 – Tour: Drill bits stand
55:41 – Finishing presses Dimitris made (not for sale, unfortunately)
57:37 – Board shear with a fence Dimitris made to improve the accessibility
1:00:00 – Are there plans to create any new tools?
1:02:03 – Special tools’ projects
1:02:50 – Animalcula
1:03:52 – The importance of feedback and constant updating of the tools
Please Support us on Patreon!
The minimum level of contribution is only $1 per month.
Moreover, starting with the pledge level of $3, you will get a digitized vintage book about bookbinding, book history, or book arts each month from us!
These pledges help iBookBinding to continue its work and bring more information about bookbinding and book arts to you!