We continue our discussion of experimental bindings with book artist Daniel Kelm while he is showing some of his impressive works!
Listen to this episode on:
- Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/ibookbinding
- iTunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/nl/podcast/ibookbinding-podcast/id1510257102
- Google Podcasts: https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaWJvb2tiaW5kaW5nLmNvbS9mZWVkL3BvZGNhc3Q
Become a patron (and get more content): https://www.patreon.com/ibookbinding
Join us on:
- Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/iBookBinding/
- Discord — https://discord.gg/TJY5FeS
- Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/iBookBinding/
Follow Daniel’s work:
00:00 – Beginning
00:20 – Workshop panorama
01:38 – Templum Elementorum
06:34 – Books with transparent pages
11:27 – A couple of words about traditional leather binding
12:24 – Making an unusual box
15:39 – Integrating the box into the binding’s narrative
19:28 – Surplus Value Books by Rick Moody – A book box with a straightjacket
26:27 – Inviting the reader to modify the book
28:24 – Book models being priced higher than editions
29:50 – What’s about other people modifying Daniel’s bindings?
31:38 – The simplest form of the wire-edge binding
39:09 – Chemistry, alchemy, mathematics, architecture, etc.
42:48 – Secrecy vs. sharing
52:09 – Collaborating on the projects with the customers
54:17 – Legacy
Please Support us on Patreon!
Moreover, starting with the pledge level of $3, you will get a digitized vintage book about bookbinding, book history, or book arts each month from us!
These pledges help iBookBinding to continue its work and bring more information about bookbinding and book arts to you!