iBB Podcast #17.1 – Dimitris Koutsipetsidis – Coming to Bookbinding via Linguistics & Leatherworking
Our guest is Dimitris Koutsipetsidis, a bookbinder and toolmaker from Athens, Greece. In the first part of our talk, we discuss his early career and the chain of events that lead him to become a bookbinder.
Listen to this episode on:
- Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/ibookbinding
- iTunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/nl/podcast/ibookbinding-podcast/id1510257102
- Google Podcasts: https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaWJvb2tiaW5kaW5nLmNvbS9mZWVkL3BvZGNhc3Q
Become a patron (and get more content): https://www.patreon.com/ibookbinding
Join us on:
- Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/iBookBinding/
- Discord — https://discord.gg/TJY5FeS
- Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/iBookBinding/
- Blog: https://koutsipetsidis.wordpress.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dimitris_bookbinding_corner/
- Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheBookbindersBench
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Dimitrisbookbindingcorner/
Tools made by Dimitris:
- Blog Tool page: https://koutsipetsidis.wordpress.com/tools-for-bookbinding-εργαλεία-βιβλιοδεσίας
- Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheBookbindersBench
00:00 – Beginning
00:53 – Early career and decision to start making books and bookbinding tools
02:58 – Starting with leatherworking
05:04 – The first bookbinding project
06:07 – How much time did pass before Dimitris felt he had a new profession?
09:40 – Making books while having a solid background in linguistics
11:34 – What about any background in arts? Family collaborations
14:38 – Exploring the Byzantine tradition of decorating bindings
17:11 – Incorporating metal elements in bindings
18:27 – Having or not having your personal style
21:48 – Let’s talk about clients and interacting with them
25:27 – The most unusual request from a client
26:28 – The pressure of the Byzantine tradition
36:38 – Teaching bookbinding during Covid-19 pandemic
41:55 – Being overwhelmed with orders during the lockdowns
46:42 – Is there a bookbinders’ guild in Greece?
49:26 – What is a typical bookbinding enterprise in Greece?
50:56 – Apprentices and guild members
55:28 – Large trade binderies
1:00:06 – Being an artisan in a global market and globalized world
Please Support us on Patreon!
Moreover, starting with the pledge level of $3, you will get a digitized vintage book about bookbinding, book history, or book arts each month from us!
These pledges help iBookBinding to continue its work and bring more information about bookbinding and book arts to you!