This 17th century map was found in a chimney in Scotland. Map was so deteriorated, it seemed almost impossible to be restored. However, specialists from the National Library of Scotland have succeeded in recovering everything that was salvageable for this historical object.
The restoration process involved a variety of treatments which covered five key stages:
- Opening and flattening the map
- Separating it into its original eight sections
- Removing the linen backing
- Dry cleaning and washing the paper
- Re-assembling the cleaned sections onto a new paper lining.
Restoration process took half of the year 2016.
You can find more information on the National Library of Scotland web site.
Please Support us on Patreon!
Moreover, starting with the pledge level of $3, you will get a digitized vintage book about bookbinding, book history, or book arts each month from us!
These pledges help iBookBinding to continue its work and bring more information about bookbinding and book arts to you!